With more than 25 years working as a self employed upholsterer, Michaella takes care of quotations, ordering, loose covers and fixed covers, fabric choices and working directly with private clients
In order to ensure the very best quality products from our workshop, we invested in brand new, top of the line equipment from the outset. This includes industrial sewing machine, over-locker, compressor, power tools, etc.
Studied furniture design at Loughborough College many years ago. Trevor takes care of stripping down, webbing, wood finishes, frame repair, transport, accounts, website and corporate clients
1. Although we will accept initial enquiries by email, telephone, voice mail, email or social media, our preferred method for ongoing communication is via our email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Following an initial contact from you we will discuss your requirements either by email or by phone and may at this stage have fabric samples sent to you. We will need to gather your contact details, address phone numbers (land line and mobile) and email address.
3. For most furnishings we will need to make an appointment to assess your upholstery needs first hand. This will allow us to give you appropriate advice and look at appropriate fabrics. We supply a broad range of fabrics (see below and our website for more details).
4. The next stage will be for us to give you an estimate of costs. Usually this will be a reasonably accurate reflection of the final invoice but many factors can influence the final price including customers requesting extras or changing their requirements or unforeseen extra work that comes to light after we have started. The biggest variables will be transport and fabric costs and these will be itemised separately.
5. Once costs have been agreed then we will put you on our waiting list. We will try to accommodate specific requests for deadlines but this cannot be guaranteed.
6. Once we take delivery of your work, we will endeavour to turn the work round within one week. However, we ask customers to bear in mind that work can take up to three weeks or longer
We supply a wide range of fabrics. We aim to supply fabrics of high quality and these will be mostly hardwearing and, so called, contract standard (fabrics which score higher than 30,000 on the Martindale rub test). We will inform you of the wear rating of your chosen fabrics. Many fabrics that we supply are machine washable and or stain resistant, but these qualities will vary between fabrics of different suppliers and from different ranges. Fabrics used for fixed covers must be fire retardant and this sometimes incurs extra costs. Any fabric that is more than 75% natural fibre is regarded as inherently flame retardant provided that a fire proof barrier cloth inter-liner is used. Fabrics used for commercial applications must be treated to a higher standard of flame retardancy (Crib 5). Please bear these issues in mind when comparing costs of fabrics.
If you would rather us use your own fabric, we will give you our expert advice on the suitability of your choice. We will always need to check the suitability of fabric and the use of your own fabric may incur extra charges due to the need to install flame retardant barrier cloth for example. We may decline to use customer’s own fabric if we think it is unsuitable for any reason. We may apply a cutting change of 25% when using customers’ own fabric
We will not normally accept work which represents a partial repair or any work wherein we consider that the finished piece will not meet our high standards. We will also likely decline any work where, all other considerations being equal, the furniture could be replaced like-for-like new for the same cost as a repair.
We reserve the right to refuse any work for any reason.
Normally costs will be agreed in advance of proceeding with any work. “Labour” costs include the costs of sundry items, staples, threads, etc. We normally require a deposit of 60% of fabric cost before proceeding.
We will attempt to stay within the prices stated in our estimate although costs may be subject to rise if we find unforeseen issues in the underlying upholstery or framework once the furniture has been stripped. Should the costs be likely to rise by more than 10% then we will contact the customer before proceeding.
We would like final invoices to be paid by bank transfer within 7 days. Payments by cash or cheque accepted
All of our waste products, specifically; offcuts, packaging and old upholstery materials and fabrics are disposed of legally and lawfully and we hold an Environment Agency Lower Tier Waste Disposal Licence.
Fabric only (assuming that you do not want old fabric returned to you)
· Arm chair or up to 4 dining chairs £1.00
· 2-seater sofa or 5 or more dining chairs £2.00
· 3-seater sofa £3.00 Larger sofas may incur additional charges
Fabric and foam disposal (if you have new cushions or fixed upholstery then these charges will apply)
· Arm chair or up to 4 dining chairs £2.00
· 2-seater sofa or five of more dining chairs £4.00
· 3-seater sofa £5.00 Larger sofas may incur additional charges
When you contact us, we store is your name, address, telephone number and email address. Initially this may be on paper but transferred to a computer system when and if we create an invoice for completed work. When we write to you formally with an estimate then we will use your address for this purpose. We might also keep any photos of your furniture for our records
We do not and will never sell or share your personal information to a third party for marketing or any other purposes. However, in certain situations, it may be necessary to pass on some information to other companies in order to provide services to you related to our work for you. For example: fabric suppliers and their couriers will need your name and address in order to send you requested fabric samples.
While we will never intentionally pass on your personal information to anyone for any purpose other than for the legitimate conduct of our business (see above), we will comply with any legitimate request made by any government agencies for any information that we hold.
In order to comply with recent data protection legislation (GDPR) it is our intention to only contact customers in relation to any queries they may have, purchases, or any after sales issues. Currently, we do not practice any unsolicited communications with past or current clients in the form of marketing information or via newsletters.
In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safe guard and secure the information we collect
You have a right to access personal data that we hold about you. If you wish to see a copy of this, please send your request to: email@example.com. This will be provided free of charge.
The information contained in our website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MiCala Upholstery and Loose Covers and, while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services or related graphics contained therein. Any reliance that you place on such information is therefore at your own risk.
All of our website content, including text and pictures, is original content owned by, and the copyright of, MiCala Upholstery and Loose Covers. Under Creative Commons Licence (CC) you may use or share any of our content provided that you do not alter the image or text (ND), give credit for the source (BY), do not use it for commercial purposes (NC) and share the content with the same restrictions (SA).